HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

resistance and chinese herbs

I have started my first combo 2 months ago with abacavir,ddi and 3tc.After 16 year infection with no treatment. I immediately had a strong effect, my vl went from 200.000 to 100 and cd4 from 170 to 350 during the first month. However, the second month my vl went back up to 8000. I heve been taking the pills regularly, but I was also taking chinese herbs which had a strong cleansing effect (I had to pass water about 20 times a day).Would it be possible that the poor response to the therapy was caused by not having enough time to stay in the body?In other words, did I peed it away?

Response from Dr. Little

Since I don't know which herbs your are taking - nor do I know that they have ever been studied to address your question - I cannot really guess. I can tell you that the regimen you started is not as potent as I would have used in someone with a viral load greater than 100,000. Thus, it may be that you are developing drug resistance - not because of the chinese herbs, but because the treatment is simply not strong enough. I would strongly advise you to have a drug resistance test performed and discuss more potent treatment options with your provider.

Life Span estimate
whats going on?