Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

resistance and chinese herbs
Nov 22, 2002

I have started my first combo 2 months ago with abacavir,ddi and 3tc.After 16 year infection with no treatment. I immediately had a strong effect, my vl went from 200.000 to 100 and cd4 from 170 to 350 during the first month. However, the second month my vl went back up to 8000. I heve been taking the pills regularly, but I was also taking chinese herbs which had a strong cleansing effect (I had to pass water about 20 times a day).Would it be possible that the poor response to the therapy was caused by not having enough time to stay in the body?In other words, did I peed it away?

Response from Dr. Little

Since I don't know which herbs your are taking - nor do I know that they have ever been studied to address your question - I cannot really guess. I can tell you that the regimen you started is not as potent as I would have used in someone with a viral load greater than 100,000. Thus, it may be that you are developing drug resistance - not because of the chinese herbs, but because the treatment is simply not strong enough. I would strongly advise you to have a drug resistance test performed and discuss more potent treatment options with your provider.

Previous
Life Span estimate
Next
whats going on?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.