HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

change my medication

my viral load is undetectable and my t-cell count is 765 i take crixivan 2 pills 3 times a day and combivar 0ne tablet in the morning and evening.now my doctor asked me if i want to change to a one a day tablet.i dont know if i want to change since i am doing so well i am scared i will not do well if i change.i once had 0 cells so i have made a lot of progress i would hate to make the wrong choice.do you think it would be safe for me to change?

Response from Dr. Little

I understand your fear - but it really depends upon what the once a day regimen would include and what your viral load was before you began your current successful treatment regimen. One very easy way to simplify your current therapy and still maintain the same general treatment would be to add low dose ritonavir (and lower the indinavir dose). This would mean taking your indinavir twice a day (like you do with your combivir) instead of 3 times a day. This might be a good start. I will have to be a bit more conservative about switching to either an NNRTI-based once daily or NRTI-based once daily regimen, since if you started with a very low T cell count, I might assume that you also started with a fairly high viral load. These options may work fine, but I would discuss these issues with your provider in terms of what he/she thinks might be the particular regimen - and address the relative potency of this new regimen compared to what you are on now - making sure they are really equals.

Cry for help from africa - will new drugs reduce resistance?
Resistant to everything available...now what?