Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

cd4 16 vl 215000
Nov 22, 2002

Dera Dr. Little, Today 10/22, I went to the client @ USC Med Center, ( they're great there). I found out that My vl is as I reported 210K, but my cd4 is 16 my is 1.1. I had a VD, cifles(spelling) at stage 2, which they are treating with Becillian shots 2 a week for three weeks. I feel great, have had thrash, but thats been delt with. Had pcp 3 times. I was on a med holiday since, April this year, ( my doing) my PA started me today on the same combo I had last, Combvivir and Viramune. He suggest that we start here and in a month take a cd4 count and a vl, plus a resistance test. Do you think We should wait till then to take a resistance test or do you think this should be done now?

thank you for your time and information.

JV

Response from Dr. Little

It is possible that even if you had had drug resistance detectable back in April when you stopped your therapy - it may no longer be detectable (drug resistant virus frequently replaced by drug sensitive virus in patients who stop their treatment because of drug resistance). If you had previous drug resistance tests - I would use these with your history of treatment and toxicities to select a treatment regimen. If you stopped antiretroviral therapy in April at which time your viral load was undetectable, and you were taking combivir and viramune, then this may well work again. So - I don't think a resistance test now is absolutely necessary - but it depends a bit on what your prior treatment history was. I think that I would do one quickly if your viral load did not rapidly drop to undetectable though.

Previous
Ive had 2 combos but cd4 still low
Next
What VL level to test?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.