Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Ive had 2 combos but cd4 still low
Nov 22, 2002

Hello Dr. I first found out I had this disease in early 2000. I got PCP, very acute case. We discovered that I was allergic to Bactrim(Sulfa)and to Dapsom. After two weeks I made it, my cd4 then was 17. My ID Dr. put me on the usually starter, azt,3tc and viracept, this was very hard on my body and after about 1 year I couldn't take it. My cd4 did rise to 55. My Dr. switched me to Combavir and Viramune. I stayed on this for a period of several months. My cd4 stayed around 55. I got depressed with the MEDs and what I thought was the lack of Improvement, so I stopped! Here, 8 months later i find myself with a cd4 of 16, another case of very mild PCP and Thrush. Is there hope for me? I've recently regerstered at the USC-radier institute, which is the AIDS/HIV clinic. They seem to be good. My PA wants to start me on the combavir and viramune again, do you think this is wise? Should I have a resistance test? How long does it take for T-cells/cd4 counts to go up? is there a general rule or is everyone different?

Thank you for your time.

I'am sorry Ive hit you with so many questions.

cordially,

JV

Response from Dr. Little

Well - as a general rule, it takes T-cells longer to go up than it takes the viral load to go down. For most people, it will take 3-4 months to see a really good response, but it can take longer. The rate of CD4 recovery may also increase with advancing age (i.e. slower in older people). I always like to suggest that patients follow their CD4% and not CD4 number, since the percentage may change for the better while the absolute number does not really look much different. Given your CD4 cell count, I would strongly urge you to try again and wait it out - unless you have developed drug resistance (which is a concern for 3TC and AZT since you have been on both and I don't know what your viral loads were during this time period), your counts should go up.

Previous
RE: may not be blip.
Next
cd4 16 vl 215000

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.