HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Why Prednisone for treating non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma

I have non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma, (mantle cell) which thus far has remained somewhat indolent. Due to somewhat enlarged lymphoid tissue on palate, along gum line, and check, my Dr. has recommended a steroid (prednisone) in the hopes of decreasing the swellings. I note that Pred. is often given with chemotherapy to treat lymohomas. What is the reason for this? What does it do specifically? I an aware of the side effects.

Response from Dr. Dezube

Virtually all lymphoma patients will get prednisone, or an equivalent medication, at some point during the course of their illness. Plain and simple, prednisone destroys lymphoma cells. The reason you are getting prednisone has little to do with the reason why prednisone is given in so many other diseases- it is given in other diseases to suppress the immune system. In your case, it's being used to kill cancer cells. Mantle Cell lymphoma is one type of lymphoma for which steroids (prednisone or decadron) are given quite liberally. Good luck.

New combination?
whats normal