Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Causes of resistance other than non-compliance
Sep 6, 2002

I will be starting meds next week. It is a once a day regimen so I plan on being 100 compliant with it. My question is, what else besides non-compliance causes the virus to become resistant to meds. Can it just occur naturally? I had a genotype test done and found I am not resistant to any meds. I would like to remain that way. Is this something I can have total control over? Thanks for your answer.

Response from Dr. Little

You are incredibly well-prepared to be thinking like the BEFORE you start your medications!! And yes, there are things other than poor adherence which can cause drug resistance. The situation to avoid is any circumstance in which the desired blood level of the drugs you are taking becomes low. This can happen for several reasons: 1) poor adherence (simply don't take the pills or take them off schedule so that for periods of time each day the levels of drug in the blood are low), 2) drug interactions - some drugs interfere with the metabolism or digestion of the antiretrovirals such that you could take every dose of a prescribed antiretroviral medication and still have a low level of drug in your blood stream based upon another drug you are taking. There is a long list of "other" drugs to be careful with (listed on the package insert of the antiretroviral drugs) and you and your physician should carefully review any other medications you are taking now (or start in the future) to make sure there are no significant interactions, 3) malabsorption - the antiretroviral drugs could be incompletely absorbed from your intestine - typically because you have a diarrheal illness which is causing almost everything you put in to rapid transit out the other end. Generally, this is not a long-lasting problem, nor severe enough to cause resistance, but something to think about in people with more chronic malabsorption problems, and finally 4) potency - it is possible to pick a good antiretroviral treatment regimen that is simply not strong enough for your particular virus. Clearly an issue in the case of drug resistance before starting treatment, but also an issue for people with relatively higher viral loads (i.e. >100,000 copies/ml). These are the other major reasons, though I still think that adherence issues are by far and away the most prevalent problems. Good luck.

Previous
Reverse possible resistence?
Next
treatment options

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.