HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Resistance (again)

Hello again - I am the 29 years old guy who just send you a mail 2 minutes ago concerning possible resistance development. I forgot one question: When I get to work I sometimes (not very often) can't remember whether I remembered to take my Combivir pill before going to work. When this happens I always take a Combivir as soon as I remember at work just to be on the safe side. Could such possible 'over treatment' lead to the development of resistance, e.g. because the body (and the virus) 'gets used' to double doses of Combivir on those days, so that the normal single doses lose some of their effect? Just a thought.....

Response from Dr. Little

No, in general taking too much of one drug will result in more of that drug's toxicity - not a greater chance of resistance. Actually, it might even lower the chance of resistance depending on the drug in question. I do not think that is likely to be an issue in the situation you described.

blip or resistance?
Reverse possible resistence?