HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Viread?

Hello doctor, I have heard really great things about Viread as far as little side effects and not much in the way of wasting associated with many of the "d" drugs... How has this drug performed in individuals with HIV? I have also heard that the mutations associated with resistence to Viread is very rare. Does this mean I can conceivably take this drug for years and years before experiencing any resistace? Thanks so much..

Response from Dr. Little

Well - yes and no. While the actual resistance mutation associated with viread use may be relatively rare, there are several other resistance mutations (i.e. mostly AZT resistance mutations) which seem to reduce the efficacy of viread. So still the goal needs to be a potent regimen and very good adherence to avoid the appearance of drug resistance. I do think this is a very promising drug with very few side effects which will work very well in many people who do not have pre-exisiting drug resistance to AZT.

Drug Resistance Testing
Refusing treatment