HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Re: Definition of a blip

Regarding the new studies you just mentioned,what would you do in my case? On first treatment of Sustiva/Combivir for 2 years. I have had 4 small "blips" in that time, the last one being 150, the one before that was 86. For the whole year prior to that I was undectable. Would you consider a change or wait and see what the next test shows? Cd4 is 354 25. Thank you.

Response from Dr. Little

I would wait and follow your viral load and CD4 closely - I think there is now good data to suggest that low level (i.e. less than 200 copies) rebounds in viral load are frequent and usually transient in fully adherent patients. I see no reason to toss out a potentially good treatment regimen at this time. On the other hand, if you have any other cause for concern that your current regimen may not be doing the best possible job (i.e. your CD4 not rising etc.) then you could consider intensifying your treatment, or monitoring a bit more closely.

My Doctor wants me off Sustiva for six weeks?
Drug Resistance Testing