HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

My Doctor wants me off Sustiva for six weeks?

Recently my viral load went from undetectable, to 800. My Doctor is waiting on resistance test results, but called today and wants me to stop Sustiva immediately and just stay on combivir alone, until he can fit me in his schedule at the end of September. I'm terrified to stop taking the drug that's been keeping me well for 3 years. I can accept a drug regimen change, but 6 weeks without? Wont my viral load spike? He said to trust him, but I can't without another opinion. My T cells are still very high, and I never miss a dose. The doctor I see is in a clinic situation, and I am currently seeking out a Doctor who can see me without a 6 week wait. Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Response from Dr. Little

Well - I am on your side based upon the facts you have given me. I would not advise someone to stay on combivir alone for this duration of time. I would think it better to stop all antiretroviral medications than to continue a suboptimal regimen for any length of time. Although your viral load is likely to increase off of treatment, you are not likely to develop further resistance while waiting for your test results. I would discuss this further with your doctor, perhaps he/she has additional concerns that you are not aware of??

Viral Load Great/T-cells Awful
Re: Definition of a blip