HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Weak Combo

I am on Susiva Epivir and Viread and have been undetectable for over three years. I have recently switched doctors and she said that the combo I was on was weak and I should consider adding a Protease Inhibitor to my regimen to strenghthen it. I was on Crixivan first and had all the side effects I am reluctant to go back on a PI. Do I need to add another pill and if so is there something else I could add.

Response from Dr. Little

Unless you have resistance to one or more of the drugs you are currently taking (i.e. based upon past drug resistance tests or past treatment history), I see no reason to think that the regimen you are on is not potent enough. This is a very potent combination which in the absence of drug resistance or poor adherence should work quite well. Why don't you ask your doctor why she thinks your regimen is too weak and then discuss the options.

HIV TODAY WORSE THAN HIV YESTERDAY?
Meds & Triple Bypass