HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Does this sound good ?

I am currently taking Norvir, Crixivan, Videx, and Zerit. My cd4's are 778 and VL is <50. I have hyperlipidemia and lipodystrophy. Anyway my Doctor has suggested a one month STI in order to do a geno and a phenosense to see if we can find a better combo. We are anxiously awaiting the approval of Atazanavir because of the study results on lipid levels. So do you think a change at this time is good ?

Response from Dr. Little

In general, I think that the ideal way to change therapies is to start and stop without much of a drug interruption - in people who are fully suppressed on their previous regimen. That is, if your viral load is less than 50 on treatment, I think it is unlikely that a drug resistance test one month off treatment will offer you much more guidence than you would have gotten by just reviewing those medications that you have previously tried and either failed or developed toxicity. I don't think there is much harm in this approach, I simply think this is not the best way to time a resistance test. If you do find useful information, then you may clealy use this to select your next regimen - and yes, atazanavir looks very good with regard to the lipid issues.

VIRAL LOAD
Should i start HAART