HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

VIRAL LOAD

I have been taking a reduced amount of my scripts, normal script is: Crixivan 2400mg, Epivir 300mg, Ziagen 600 mg. I have for the last two yrs been taking Crixivan 800mg, Epivir 150mg and Ziagen 300mg. My viral load has gone up to 6,500 and my T Cells have dropped into the 300s. I have for the last 4 yrs had undectable viral load and T Cells around 500. Do you belive I could be developing a resistance to my meds?

Response from Dr. Little

Yes - the most predictable way to develop drug resistance is to have a lower than necessary level of a drug in your blood stream - either by reducing the dose, skipping doses, or having a drug interaction which cases the level of a drug to be lowered. I would get a drug resistance test and try to find a regimen that you can tolerate at full dose if you are going to continue antiretroviral therapy.

Drug Resistance Despair
Does this sound good ?