Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Garlic and drug resistance?
Jul 23, 2002

I have read that eating garlic may lover the level of certain HIV drugs in the blood and thereby possibly cause drug resistance. I am a 29 year old man taking Combivir and Stocrin (lamivudine, zidovudine and efavirenz), CD4 around 500 and VL below 20 for more than 2 years, no side effects except slightly elevated levels of fat in the blood. Is taking garlic supplements a 'go' or 'no go' for me? I also take a couple of multivitamin pills a day. However, there are different brands some of which contain more vitamins and minerals thanh others. Are there certain vitamins etc. that I should definately avoid when picking tablets? Thanks you in advance for your reply!

Response from Dr. Little

I am not really an expert on the garlic question, though I have not heard of any convincing data that garlic (in non-super high doses) has a significant effect upon HIV drug levels. I will forward this to the Nutrition forum in case these experts have better information. In general, I believe that any fairly standard once a day multivitamin is a good idea and that any super-high (more than 100-200% of the recommended daily allowance) of any vitamin or mineral should be discussed with your doctor just in case there is additional information that you are not aware of which might affect your drug levels.

Previous
Wild Type Virus
Next
low platelet count

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.