HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Garlic and drug resistance?

I have read that eating garlic may lover the level of certain HIV drugs in the blood and thereby possibly cause drug resistance. I am a 29 year old man taking Combivir and Stocrin (lamivudine, zidovudine and efavirenz), CD4 around 500 and VL below 20 for more than 2 years, no side effects except slightly elevated levels of fat in the blood. Is taking garlic supplements a 'go' or 'no go' for me? I also take a couple of multivitamin pills a day. However, there are different brands some of which contain more vitamins and minerals thanh others. Are there certain vitamins etc. that I should definately avoid when picking tablets? Thanks you in advance for your reply!

Response from Dr. Little

I am not really an expert on the garlic question, though I have not heard of any convincing data that garlic (in non-super high doses) has a significant effect upon HIV drug levels. I will forward this to the Nutrition forum in case these experts have better information. In general, I believe that any fairly standard once a day multivitamin is a good idea and that any super-high (more than 100-200% of the recommended daily allowance) of any vitamin or mineral should be discussed with your doctor just in case there is additional information that you are not aware of which might affect your drug levels.

Wild Type Virus
low platelet count