HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Memory Loss

I love this sight. I find it very informative. Here is my question, I have been 100 compliant with my meds (combivir and sustiva) and my numbers are great for the past two years. Last night, about two hours after the ususal time I would take my night time combivir, I could not remember if I had infact taken it so, I popped the little white pill just to play it safe. What type of problems could this bring on with resistances and toxicity?

Thanks

Response from Dr. Little

I would not worry - a single late dose or possible double dose is unlikely to cause you any lasting toxicity or cause any risk of drug resistance. I would not worry about the drug resistance issue at all - if you are generally on time, then a single late dose is not a major issue. If you took a double dose, you may expect some short term (i.e. 6-12 hour) toxicities related to the double dose - but even these are unlikely to be severe and are very unlikely to cause you any longer term problems.

a really stupid question
Should I have stopped meds that were working for me?