HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Stopping Meds to Enable Genotyping

Hi ...

I've been undetectable for a couple of years and have recently had a blip in viral load - just above 50. My doctor hasn't suggested changing meds yet, but if it continues we might.

He says it's impossible to get a resistance profile when viral load is low, so often people stop taking meds for a week or so to increase viral load, enabling resistance testing.

Is this safe, to go off meds even briefly?

Thank you

Response from Dr. Little

I would not stop your meds for the sake of obtaining a drug resistance test given the information you have provided. There is now quite a bit of data to suggest that low level blips of viral load between 50 and 200 are not necessarily the beginning of a virologic failure. It sounds like you are doing quite well - I would continue close follow-up and observation the next couple of months. I would not abandon what may well be a successful regimen - with just some very low level viremia which may not be associated with any worse prognosis or treatment response.

maybe not blip.
a really stupid question