HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

maybe not blip.

In January I had a VL 950 after 5.5 yrs on a combo. and being undetectable In March VL was below 400 (test only measured to 400). Late May I requested ultrasense and VL came back at 127. should I change combo. On Varicept,d4t,3tc. for 6yrs Dr. told me last time that resistance test aren't accurate tell you have a least 1000VL.

Response from Dr. Little

After nearly 6 years on your current regimen - it is not clear to me why you would suddently start to fail now unless you were missing doses. If your most recent viral load came back at 127, this would not suggest to me the need for a rapid change. I would support very close follow-up over the next few months, since something may in fact have changed and the best time to pick up drug resistance is as soon after it happens as possible. I would not however, recommend a treatment change solely on the laboratories that you mentioned.

Re-infection Causing resistance?
Stopping Meds to Enable Genotyping