HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

will atanazvir work?

I just read that there is a large expanded acess program for the new BMS protease inhibitor. I have been told I am resistant to amp.sustiva,azt,3tc, abacavir, crixivan, norvir-I am sensistive to saquinavir,and the D drugs. Do you think I might do well on the new BMS drug-in combo with viread-and say-3TC. My viral load is 40k and t-cells-205. I'm scrared-I won't make it?Can you give me some insight?

Response from Dr. Little

I am afraid that the best way to advise you would be by reviewing your resitance test results. If in fact you are completely resistant to the drugs you listed, then both Kaletra (already approved) and the BMS protease inhibitor are possible options. The most difficult part is coming up with the rest of the regimen. I would stronly advise that you sit down with your doctor and discuss what treatment options are available for you now. There are also several integrase inhibitors coming in development - the choice of exactly which drugs to use now is really not possible without a complete review of your treatment history/toxicities and resistance test results. I would not want to give you bad advice without having all of the data. Good luck.

plan
speed of resistance development