HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

what's next?

I previously wrote about my concerns regarding my partner's potential VL rebounding (>1000 copies) 2.5 years into first line therapy (Combivir/Sustiva). The results of the 2nd VL test, 1 month later now indicate VL<50 again. Is everything fine or should the doctors be considering an additional medicine for additional suppression? They dont seem to be concerned, but I'd like to be proactive and not risk the entire regimine.

Response from Dr. Little

This is a difficult question to answer - a viral load of greater than 1000 would make me worry about the possiblity of drug resistance or treatment non-compliance. The fact that the next viral load was less than 50 would argue more for suboptimal compliance that has since improved. I cannot be certain what the cause of this single viral load measure of greater than 1000, but I would not advocate changing therapy now in the face of a viral load of less than 50. It is even possible that this was a faulty test and that your partner's viral load has always been less than 50. I would wait and watch closely.

hiv myelopathy
plan