HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

confused

I've read in your web that some doctors say you can live 5-10 years being Hiv positive before developing Aids. Than another doctor has stated it's possible to live 20-30 years? Which is correct? I've been diagnosed with Hiv recently, only way I could of came in contact with the virus would of been thru blood tranfusions, just over 17 years ago..I've had syptoms, like flu, sore throats, resporitory problems, they have all been treated, but no one ever said Hiv, until I decided to get tested.

The natural history of HIV infection is still be determined. We have good natural history studies that looked at people for 10 years. That is where alot of the data comes from. There are certainly people who have documented infection from 20 years ago. Alot depends on the underlying genetics of the person and the type of virus that was transmitted.

virual load
no change in cd4 count