HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

not much left to prescribe!

Dear Doctor; I have been positive for 10 years. I have been on drug therapy for 6 of those ten, im viral load went from 36,000 to 500,000 in a few months my latest gart test showed i am resistant to all Protease inhibitors except kaletra which I am taking but that drug I am intermediate to and only sensitive to DDI DDC and tenofivir. I just looked over some old geno types and they showed i was once resisitant to DDI and DDC, as they were some of the first prescribed to me. My question is this what should I do my long term survival doesnt look good also in a month my t-cells have droped from 560 to 420. also are there any new drugs on the way that might prolong my live. Robert 38 from New Jersey.. Thanks

Response from Dr. Little

I think that finding a treatment combination using currenly available meds that will completely suppress your viral load (given your old resistance test results along with your present test results), is quite unlikely. I would urge you to look into any possible clinical trial opportunities in your community which might offer you access to some of the drugs in development that you could pair with the best available existing treatments. Your doctor or your local community based HIV organizations should be able to direct you to the best site to see if there are any such options open to you.

Regarding continued therapy - there is quite a bit of data to suggest that continued treatment - even nonsuppressive treatment - does prolong life. The hard part is finding the most potent and most tolerable regimen to achieve this goal. Your CD4 cell count is still relatively high and it is possible that other treatment options will open up (ie new drug approvals or new drug trials) in the next year or so that will offer you new hope. Good luck.

Viral Load resistance and med change
so confused