HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

3TC Again?

My doctor added 3TC to my current regimin of D4T, DDI and Sustiva because my VL has come back at 323, <50, 284 and 87 each of the last four times. I had sequentally added 3TC to a faultering AZT and DDC regimin (viral load unknown)several years ago. Although I probably have 3TC resistance and likely some D4T resistance from previous regimins, he feels that adding 3TC again now to the current regimin might be enough intensification to surpress possible emerging resistance. His reasoning is that, although I won't get the full 1.0+ log drop in VL if I had never taken 3TC before, the cross-resistance patterns of these drugs in combination might still result in the 0.3 log drop that I need to stay undetectable. He feels 3TC also has the least possible additional side effects, and I have nothing to lose by trying it again.

I am a little concerned with losing whatever efficacy I am getting from the NNRTIs as well as the standard NRTIs, but there seems to be no way of knowing for sure what resistance patterns I may have at such low viral loads.

Do you agree with this strategy? Should I consider intensifying or switching with another newer drug where I might have less cross-resistance?

Thanks for your insights.

Response from Dr. Little

Although I understand your doctor's logic, this has not been my general practice. The main problem with this approach in my opinion, is that if the potency of a 0.3 log drop is not achieved with the addition of 3TC, you may then develop resistance to sustiva. I would have favored the addition of a drug with greater potency (ie one to which you do not have resistance) in order to afford the greatest protection to your remaining drugs.

sustiva resistance
Sudden Viral Load Elevation