HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Haven't taken Meds in a Year

I am in 2nd year of my diagnosis. I started with very low CDC count & very high viral load. I have 3 mutations of resistance to P.I.'s - was taking Ziagen,Rescriptor & Combivir and within 6 months - CDC's were over 800 & v.l. was undetectable. It has been a year since I have followed my regimine. I know - stupid. How bad could things have gotten?

Response from Dr. Little

Well, if you have been off therapy for the last year, then it is unlikely that your resistance has gotten much worse. Resistance worsens during periods when drugs are taken at lower doses or less frequent intervals than prescribed (or in the face of other interactions which lower the total drug dose in the blood stream). If you stopped all therapy during the last year, then it is unlikely that you have more resitance than at the time you stopped these drugs. Your CD4 count may have fallen, but your resistance profile should be relatively stable.

resistance difference
sustiva resistance