HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

On-Off treatment-resistence?

I am now off treatment for liver toxicity. I am going to take vhc treatment shortly and also going to start whole new treatment for hiv. Ive had two subsecuent toxic hepatitis, and I would like to know before talking to my doctor about it, if it is possible until I sort out the liver problem, to undertake this new hiv treatment lets say a couple of months and then stop another. Would that strategy provoce resistance to treatment? Which periods of time would you recommend? Thank you for your answer. Female.

Response from Dr. Little

If I understand your question, it is often difficult to sort out whether liver test abnormalities are related to HIV medication or underlying other viral hepatitis infections. If you have another liver infection, most providers would monitor your liver tests regularly and might even choose your antiretroviral regimen based upon the drug(s) least likely to make your liver disease worse. If you find it necessary to start and stop antiretroviral therapy because of liver toxicity, I would strongly advise that you do this under a doctor's supervision, since, yes this can increase the risk of developing HIV drug resistance. The timing is different for the different drugs and this is not an easy question to answer - I would discuss with your doctor.

Could this be the start of resistence?
Charts?