HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

HCV & use of nonsteroidal antiinflamatory drugs

Dear DR, I do have HCV, I also have a couple of buldging discs in my back and a new one in my neck, I have read that the use of nonsteroidal anti inflamatory drugs are not god to use with HCV,is information correct and why? THANK YOU!

Response from Dr. Rodriguez-Torres

I do not know of any data that can support this assesment.The problem with non steroidal antinflamatory drugs is that they are used chronically,and may cause renal dysfunction,and gastric mucosa damage.This can be dangerous if patients have low platelets,or varices,or other gastric pathology ,as may induce bleeding.I use these drugs with caution,to help patients with the side effects of therapy for HCV,if patients are refractory to acetaminophen.(Tylenol).In your case,you may want to discuss with your physician if epidural blocks can be an alternative to manage your pain.I know they work because ,I also have severe discogenic disease,and have had them !!!.Also new drugs that work by decreasing the inflamatory process,as blocking tumor necrosis factor,can be of help.

Heart Attack and AIDS
Could this be the start of resistence?