Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Heart Attack and AIDS
May 3, 2002

Dr. Little: My father had a heart attack this morning. He is also in treatment for AIDS. Can you provide me some insight as to what is happening and what sources I may research to help him. Thank you, Liz

Response from Dr. Boyle

I'm sorry to hear about your father's heart attack Liz, and I hope he is recovering. The relationship between HIV medications and heart attacks is not clear, with some studies showing that protease inhibitors may be associated with an increased risk of heart attacks, while other studies do not. One thing that is sure is that patients with HIV should quit smoking, get more exercise, and have their blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose (blood sugar) carefully monitored. I also recommend a baby aspirin a day to most of my patients. Many patients with HIV are now going to survive HIV, and it would be a shame for them to die young from another disease, such as coronary artery disease, when this is to some extent preventable. More information about this topic can be found on this website and at www.medscape.com and www.hivandhepatitis.com. Good luck to you and your father.

Previous
new phenosense test
Next
HCV & use of nonsteroidal antiinflamatory drugs

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.