Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Do You Think This Is Wise?
Apr 27, 2002

Dr. Little:

I have beeen hiv poz since 3/00. Caught it within 3 months of exposure. Started on Sustiva & Combivir 4/00. VL right after exposure was 77,000 & CD4 800. Within a few weeks VL was <50 and CD4 900. My question is- My doctor has left it up to me if I want to stop the med's for a while. I am not having any problems taking the Sustiva & Combvir. What do you think. It would be nice not to have to take them. What about 7 days on & 7 off or do you think just quit all together & monitor the blood work every 2 months. Thanks for you help.

Response from Dr. Little

This is actually a very complicated question - since there is a very limited amount of data avialable to help guide your choices. First, I do not think that there is sufficient data to suggest a 7 day on/off cycling of drugs. The data to suggest that this is a safe method to manage treatment is limited and I would not feel comfortable recommending this approach to anyone outside of a research trial. Regarding whether to continue or not - I think this depends upon your attitude and side effects with your current therapy. If you want to do everything possible to preserve your immune system at a near normal level of function as possible and your current meds are not causing you a great deal of difficulty, then I would continue therapy. If you are are anxious to see if your early treatment has resulted in some lasting benefit, or if your treatment is causing you a moderate amount of trouble with side effects, then you may want to stop your therapy. Clearly, any treatment interruption should be discussed in detail with your doctor including the possible risks and benefits and should be under his/her close supervision. I wish I could tell you that there was only one right answer - but until we learn more, I think there is room to individualize this treatment decision. Good luck.

Previous
mutations/resistance if undectable???
Next
new phenosense test

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.