HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Re Re Resistance Study Findings

Thank you for your response to my second question about the resistance study showing high rates of resistance to one or more drugs.

I was a little unclear about where you stand on the meaning of the findings.

Can one infer from the study that half to three-quarters will develop resistance to one or more drugs over, say, five years?

If not, what, if any predictive worth does the study have?

I am concerned as although I am doing very well and am very compliant, I often wonder if resistance is a matter of time (as do many of my friends).

Response from Dr. Little

No - I did not mean to imply that this study suggests that 75% of people will develop drug resistance after 5 years. Rather, that given the way drugs were prescribed during the earliest years of available potent therapy (ie often successive monotherapy followed by multiple suboptimal regimens in the face of existing resistance), that nearly 75% of people studied now have evidence of drug resistance. We hope that this study serves as a warning of what can happen with suboptimal use of antiretroviral therapy and a caution to use the best possible therapy with extensive patient education regarding the possible consequences of non-adherence. I would expect that the numbers would be substantially better with people more recently treated (by experienced HIV care providers) who are completely adherent to their treatment regimens.

Immunosuppressants & HIV Detection
a holiday so resistance test can be done.