HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Immunosuppressants & HIV Detection

I think you would be the best qualified person on this forum to answer my question. I am currently on the immunosuppressant 6MP aka Purinethol for an unrelated medical problem. I am going to be tested to see if I have contracted the HIV virus. As of yet I have not been tested. My Question: What effect would this immunosuppressant have on the detection of the HIV virus if I have in fact contracted it. Would this drug have no effect or cause me to show a positive result sooner/later than normal if I have contracted it. I know the ELISA detects antibodies to the HIV virus and am wondering how an immunosuppressant such as the one I'm taking would impact the production of antibodies for detection. Would antibodies multiply faster or slower if infected? Thanks!

Response from Dr. Little

I am not aware of 6MP having any effect upon the development of antibodies to HIV or on delaying an antibody response to HIV. In general, I would recommend following the same testing recommendations following a potential exposure as for someone not on 6MP.

Can Tenofavir be used to treat children?
Re Re Resistance Study Findings