The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can Tenofavir be used to treat children?
Apr 1, 2002

There is a very good friend of mine whose child in England has full blown AIDS at 9. He is resistant to all the drug combos so far, and they are waiting for the drug companies to give tenofavir to children..This child has no time to wait. Who should the family contact in England for priority treatment?

Response from Dr. Young

Thank you for your question.

This indeed is a difficult situation, one that we face with increasing frequency.

Tenofovir is a newly approved medication with activity against virus that has limited drug resistance. At this year's Conference on Retroviruses, we learned a great deal about the genetic predictors of response to therapy that includes tenofovir-- factors that limit response include the number of nucleoside analogue mutations (NAMs), particularly when they include mutations at reverse transcriptase positions 41 and 210. Indeed, persons with virus that contain 3 or more NAMs that included mutations at 41 or 210 had viral load reductions that were similar to placebo, indicating that not all persons with very resistant virus may benefit from the drug.

As for pediatric data, there is an ongoing pediatric clinical trial, but the drug is not yet approved for use in this population of patients. It might be worth contacting the local Gilead representative or checking their website:

Good luck, BY

Not enough virus to determine resistance
Immunosuppressants & HIV Detection

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint