|on zertia and epivir for six weeks
Mar 23, 2002
Last year I was on Combivir and Zerit. End of year, billirubins were high. Stop medicaton for two weeks and then started on Zerit and Epivir for six weeks. My doctor will check if there is no mor liver toxicity will add another drug. Could be any drug resistance in six weeks? Thank you for your help. X
Response from Dr. Little
Yes, unfortunately, epivir (3TC) is one of the drugs with a low threshhold for drug resistance. In other words, the use of epivir for even 2 weeks in the setting of incomplete virological suppression (ie a detectable viral load) can give rise to resistance. I would discuss this concern with your doctor and would personally recommend starting with a more potent combination right at the start of therapy.
Viral Blip, or resistance?
low level viremia
- What Effects Does Syphilis Have On Sterility And Infertility?
- What Causes Recurring Yeast Infections And Bacteria Vaginosis?
- What Can You Take To Prevent Current Genital Warts Breakouts?
- What Are The Chances Of Spreading Herpes With No Symptoms?
- What Are The Chances Of Getting Herpes Or Warts From A Safe Exposure With A Prostitute?
- Syphilis Rash On The Chest
This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.
Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.