HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

on zertia and epivir for six weeks

Last year I was on Combivir and Zerit. End of year, billirubins were high. Stop medicaton for two weeks and then started on Zerit and Epivir for six weeks. My doctor will check if there is no mor liver toxicity will add another drug. Could be any drug resistance in six weeks? Thank you for your help. X

Response from Dr. Little

Yes, unfortunately, epivir (3TC) is one of the drugs with a low threshhold for drug resistance. In other words, the use of epivir for even 2 weeks in the setting of incomplete virological suppression (ie a detectable viral load) can give rise to resistance. I would discuss this concern with your doctor and would personally recommend starting with a more potent combination right at the start of therapy.

Viral Blip, or resistance?
low level viremia