HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Viral Load Is Not Going D own.

I am under ART for last 2 years, starting with double drug primarily and then shifting onwards to triple drug from last 1 year.But still now my Viral load is 2073 RNA copies/ml under "Amplicor HIV-1 Monitor Test V1.5,Roche Diagonistics,NJ ,USA" . And my CD4 Cells count is 150, where the Flow Cytometer used was FACScan,Becton Dickinson,USA. Why isn't my Viral load going down or CD4 increasing still after such long period of medication? I'm taking Duovir-N medicine and I'm from "India" .

Response from Dr. Little

The persistence of a detectable viral load would suggest that your treatment regimen is not potent enough. Many people who start on 2 drugs and continue on only 2 drugs for a period of time do develop some degree of drug resistance since generally, two drugs are not sufficient to reduce the viral load to undetectable. Then, by adding another drug, you often do not still succeed since you are in essence adding one drug to a "failing" regimen. I would talk to your doctor about the possibility of receiving a more potent regimen or obtaining a drug resistance test to help guide him/her in the selection of a better treatment regimen.

Risk of resistance?
Viral Blip, or resistance?