Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Trizivir resistance
Mar 21, 2002

I have been taking trizivir for 2 months. The first time I was tested after starting trizivir, my viral load was 550. The second time, my viral load was 1100. My doctor told me that there is a problem with trizivir in that some people become resistant quickly and they are then usually resistant to the entire trizivir category of medications. What have the studies shown about trizivir resistance?

Response from Dr. Little

Your response to Trizivir would make me wonder whether you had received prior treatment with either AZT or 3TC. If so, then one might expect a poor response based upon prior resistance and rapid selection of more complete resistance. Alternatively, did you have a very high viral load when you started this medication? As with most drug combinations, people with the highest pretreatment viral loads have the greatest risk of experiencing treatment failure - often on the basis of drug resistance because the drugs are simply not potent enough to prevent ongoing viral replication.

If neither of these situations applies, then I am surprised at your response. No this does not mean that you have resistance to this whole class of drugs - but resistance testing should be done to help guide the selection of new treatment if this is planned in your situation.

Previous
could a 3 week break from meds cause resistance
Next
Virologic Breakthrough?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.