HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Trizivir resistance

I have been taking trizivir for 2 months. The first time I was tested after starting trizivir, my viral load was 550. The second time, my viral load was 1100. My doctor told me that there is a problem with trizivir in that some people become resistant quickly and they are then usually resistant to the entire trizivir category of medications. What have the studies shown about trizivir resistance?

Response from Dr. Little

Your response to Trizivir would make me wonder whether you had received prior treatment with either AZT or 3TC. If so, then one might expect a poor response based upon prior resistance and rapid selection of more complete resistance. Alternatively, did you have a very high viral load when you started this medication? As with most drug combinations, people with the highest pretreatment viral loads have the greatest risk of experiencing treatment failure - often on the basis of drug resistance because the drugs are simply not potent enough to prevent ongoing viral replication.

If neither of these situations applies, then I am surprised at your response. No this does not mean that you have resistance to this whole class of drugs - but resistance testing should be done to help guide the selection of new treatment if this is planned in your situation.

could a 3 week break from meds cause resistance
Virologic Breakthrough?