HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

could a 3 week break from meds cause resistance

Dr Little, Next i plan to visit my home country and i have a green card.If i went on a short STI for 3 weeks would that be risky.I have be on Viramune,epivir and ziagen and have been undectable since Aug 2000.Was diagnosied in April 2000 numbers where CD4 234 8 VL 5000.My inital treatment was Viracept with ziagen and epivir but could control the diarrhea.Shopuld tell i was also diagnosied within 4 months with an advanced aggressive NHL and currently been worked up for stem cell transplant,my inital oncologist didn't believe in full dose chemo thats why had had 4 relapses.Last numbers CD4 290 24 VL undect and never missed a dose of HARRT.I'm just very anxious that they may not let me return if they see I'm HIV even with my greencard of 8 years.I don't trust BUSH !! What do you think Doctor Little.Thank you

Response from Dr. Little

Based upon your diagnosis of both HIV and NHL, I do not think it is in your best interest to take a 3 week treatment interruption. In terms of your question - could it cause resistance if you are currently undetectable? The answer is probably not - I can never be certain, but you are not on a drug combination that suggests a high risk of developing resistance after stopping all meds for a period of time. On the other hand, you are on ziagen, which we do not like to restart given the risk of hypersensitivity reactions - even in people who stopped it without a previous history of hypersensitivity. So, overall, I would have to advise against stopping your therapy.

Substitute AZT for D4T in treatment experienced?
Trizivir resistance