HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

TOOK MED FOR FIVE DAYS

Hello Doctor: I am really frightened that I may have made a big mistake concerning getting on or getting off of my meds. I have a severe lung disorder, and after pleading with my doctor to put me on something, she finally did (in 8 months). I must admit that I was afraid of having bad side effects and I let her know this. Well, anyway my doctor and I decided on me taking Sustiva, Epivir, and Zerit. On the third day of taking them, I began having some tightness in my chest (it may have been from the meds, and maybe not). The tightness became more intense, so I went to the E.R. After being checked out, I was released and told to get into contact with my doctor. I tried, but could not get into contact with her. So on the 5th day I stopped taking the meds (I was told by the physician in the E.R. that I could discontinue them), but to make sure that I contacted my doctor. Well, my doc never did return my call. My question to you is, do you think that now I may not be able to take that same regimen? From what I understand, it was a good choice. Can just five days of taking them and then stopping really cause me to become resistant to those particular meds? Thank you for your response, Signed, "Where do I go from here"?

You did the right thing by stopping all the meds. There should be no problem restarting that regimen or another. There should also be no problem with resistance from that short exposure. MH

How many dif. strains, and High Phoshorus
POSITIVE FROM ENGLAND