HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Unprotected sex

I a newly infected (<6 months) and in a completely monogamous relationship with someone that has been positive for 2 years. He is on meds (Combavir/Sustiva) and has not had any resistance problems so far. I am not on any meds at this point but am considering the pros and cons of starting early treatment. We have reached the point of trust and commitment that we now have unprotected sex. My question is this: If either one of us becomes resistant, is it possible to pass it on to the other ? Thanks for all the great advice on this site, it's a perfect place for the "newbies" and the knowledgeable

This is a topic of great controversy. In the not so distant past, many practitioners wouldn't address it or counsel people against unprotected sex. Recently though, resistant virus has been shown to be transmitted to the uninfected, and transmitted to another infected person whose HIV infection was under control. Therefore, I would counsel against it. MH

HIV Reporting Policies by State
Current ideas on VL vs. infectiousness