The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App 
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance
Rollover images to visit our other forums!
  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

New meds for resistant virus
Feb 24, 2002

For the past 2 years, I have been told by doctors that I have a high resistant type of virus. No current medication seem to work. My cd4 count has never been above 400. Even when first found out 9 years ago. Most medication makes me sick. Is there hope in the next 6-12 months for better medication? I would like to see something that increase counts but doesn't have me wearing DEPENDS. Thank You

Response from Dr. Little

There are new drugs in development and in clinical trials - BUT, I do not think that any of them are going to offer a major solution to someone who has no other options - ie nothing to pair the new drugs with. The best possible option is to have a resistance test and a complete antiretroviral history taken by someone who knows how to interpret the tests and the relevance of a complete treatment history. There are drugs that could be of benefit to you, but if you are truely resistant to all available licensed drugs, then you will need to seek out a research center to see if there are other drugs that you could pair with some "recycled" drugs perhaps that you have less than complete drug resistance. If your CD4 count is near 400, you may benefit significantly from even an incompletely suppressive regimen while you wait for new treatments since you are unlikely to suffer in the very near future from progression of your HIV disease to the extent that you suffer from HIV related diseases or complications. Good luck.

Phenosense assay shows Zerit on border - Higher Dosage?
Dr Little, pls answer this.

  • Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary



This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.

Powered by ExpertViewpoint