Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Driven mutations
Feb 23, 2002

Dear Doctor,

Is it too far fetched for medical science now to guide hiv into specific mutations that would eventually become harmless? As far as I know, frequent mutations of retroviruses are seen as an obstacle for treatment, but, couldn't that characteristic be used in favor of therapy? I'm thinking here in sort of a breeding of the virus so that it eventually evolves into a variety that is harmless, or easily treatable.

Thanks. You are doing a phenomenal work!

Response from Dr. Little

This is an idea shared by many people and currently under investigation. My personal opinion, HIV is not likely to be rendered harmless by resistance mutations. We are certainly studying the question in patients who have developed multiple mutations, but I would not (any time soon) support the intentional generation of resistance mutations to facilitate the study of this question. There are unfortunately too numerous to count examples of patients with markedly drug resistant virus who continue to mount very high viral loads associated with HIV disease progression. But - we are continuing to investigate this and related ideas.

Previous
Drug Resistance Question
Next
Phenosense assay shows Zerit on border - Higher Dosage?

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.