HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

resistant to almost everything

I have been on Meds for 7 years now and have changed several times due to resistance and illness. I am now on Combivir again & Kaletra. My last labs were a t-cell count of 510 and VL up to 30,000. My internist said that things are 'stable' at the moment and wants to wait for 2 completely new drugs to come out later this year before changing again. My question is: Are there new drugs that look promising for patients who really don't have any options left ???. I am worried that I will simply become resistant again within a few months. Also, if these new drugs don't work, what time frame am i looking at before I start to have serious health problems. I know this is a difficult question but any insight from other patients would give me at least some idea.

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Little

The idea of waiting for one or more new drugs to pair with some of the partially effective "old" ones is generally a good idea. Given your high CD4 cell count, it sounds like you will not be at great risk of having significant disease progression during the wait. While some of the newer drugs are available on expanded access - they may also be available to you sooner in the form of a research study. Clearly, the choice of what and when is best made with all of your test results and resistance test results in hand. In general, patients do not experience significant HIV-related problems or diseases until their CD4 cell counts drop below about 250. This is not a rule, just a general statement. There are a lot of people in your position unfortunately - and many companies and care providers working hard to find an effective solution as soon as possible.

Re resistance study findings
Need help from Philippines!