Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

confusing questions about CD8
Jan 10, 2001

Dear Dr:

I had a very risky life before. I stoped it on 3/99. I had a few Elisa1&2 or 1 test done until 6/2000, which were all negative.(in total 15 months) However my Dr did a resistance test in 6/2000 for me by mistake alone with the negative elisa test. My CD4 was 830 and CD8 was 930. For ruling out all the possibilities, my Dr did another resistance test for me in 11/2000. My CD4 became 870, CD8 became 1160 and ratio became 0.75. (I did not do Elisa test at this time) I have read many answer from this sit. It seems to me that HIV will cause CD8 goes up, so I hoep you could enlighten me if I need more tests. What is the relations between antibodies and CD8? Does it mean that CD8 goes up, antidodies occur? I understand that with illness such as flu, CD8 will go up, but I did not have any illness and symptom when the two times I did the resistance test. So, I am really confused and worried. Please give me some suggestion. By the way, I lived in a south east country. Thank you

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I think you are confused about what resistance tests are with respect to HIV disease. A resistance test is performed in HIV positive patients to determine if they are resistant to the HIV drugs they are on. Resistance tests are not related to CD8 counts.

MH

Previous
hepatitis C and low platelets
Next
Viral loads

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.