HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

confusing questions about CD8

Dear Dr:

I had a very risky life before. I stoped it on 3/99. I had a few Elisa1&2 or 1 test done until 6/2000, which were all negative.(in total 15 months) However my Dr did a resistance test in 6/2000 for me by mistake alone with the negative elisa test. My CD4 was 830 and CD8 was 930. For ruling out all the possibilities, my Dr did another resistance test for me in 11/2000. My CD4 became 870, CD8 became 1160 and ratio became 0.75. (I did not do Elisa test at this time) I have read many answer from this sit. It seems to me that HIV will cause CD8 goes up, so I hoep you could enlighten me if I need more tests. What is the relations between antibodies and CD8? Does it mean that CD8 goes up, antidodies occur? I understand that with illness such as flu, CD8 will go up, but I did not have any illness and symptom when the two times I did the resistance test. So, I am really confused and worried. Please give me some suggestion. By the way, I lived in a south east country. Thank you

I think you are confused about what resistance tests are with respect to HIV disease. A resistance test is performed in HIV positive patients to determine if they are resistant to the HIV drugs they are on. Resistance tests are not related to CD8 counts.

MH

hepatitis C and low platelets
Viral loads