Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Can VL increase if exposed to HIV repeatedly?
Jan 17, 2001

If you're HIV positive and you continue to have unprotected sex, can you increase your viral load this way and is it true that if you are infected by someone that has the virus and has become immune to certain drugs then you will also be immune to these drugs? Also, if you're infected by someone that is not immune, but you don't get tested for HIV and it stays in your body a while does it then become immune to those drugs?

Response from Dr. Holodniy

I prefer to use the term resistant to drugs and not immune. But you are correct. Resistant virus can be transmitted to another person. If you give drugs to this person that the transmitted virus is resistant to, they will not work. If you are infected with a virus that is not resistant to drugs, is unlikely, though possible, that the virus will develop resistance on its own. We don't know the answer to your first question. Only a few cases have been described in which an infected person was probably infected again with another strain. Viral loads did go up.

MH

Previous
WHY SO HARD
Next
I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT MY DISEASE

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.