For World AIDS Day, read about stigma, criminalization and more >>

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Dr. Little, is 7 months antibody negative enough testing?

Dr. Little. Hello. I ahve serial hiv antibody tested for the past seven months. All the results came back HIV-. Therefore, can I put this nightmare behind me. Patrick

Response from Dr. Little

In 99% of cases the answer is yes. There are a few unusual circumstances which seem to delay the appearance of HIV antibody - but these are so rare that current CDC guidelines (ie public health standards of care) suggest that testing 6 months post exposure is sufficient to rule out HIV infection resulting from the original exposure.

results are suspect
Drug Resistance