Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Is there resistance?
Jan 21, 2002

Dr. Little,

I have been on EVR, 3TC, and Zerit for over 2 yrs. I was undectectable for most of that time. However, about 6 mos ago VL 1800 then 3 mos later about 1600. MY CD4 are around 900. Just 2 weeks ago my Dr. suggested replacing the Zerit with Viread because of lipodystrophy and detectable VL. The Viread does have side-effects though. DOes this sound like a good approach to you. Thank-You.

Response from Dr. Little

Actually, my approach would be to obtain a resistance test. If I had to guess, I would be most worried about resistance to sustiva (efavirenz) and/or 3TC and would therefore be very worried about simply adding tenofivir. If you have isolated resistance to 3TC, this might be a good approach given your high CD4, but I would not feel comfortable making this choice without a resistance test. The side effects of Tenofivir have been really quite limited in clinical trials - which is never a guarentee for you, but this drug is better tolerated than many. Good Luck.

Previous
Too many meds???
Next
Anti-retrovirals after

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.