HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Missing meds for two weeks

I have been Taking Viracept, Ziagen and Zerit twice a day for three years. I have been very lucky by not experiencing any side effects and loss of quality of life. My viral load is undetectable and mt t-cells hover at 700. I very rarely miss doses. For insurence reasons, I have been unable to take get my medication. It has been 10 days since I last took a dose. I will resuming my meds when I receive them in a couple of days. Am I taking a huge risk in developing resistance to my meds? Is the two week break going to kill me?

Response from Dr. Little

No - in general, a break in medication is relatively safe as long as it is a complete break (ie all meds stopped) and does not occur often (ie stopping all meds repeatedly might be a greater risk). On the regimen that you are on, I would not expect that you would have a great risk of developing drug resistance after your treatment interruption.

Is ziagen, videx and 3TC enough?
How long will cocktaIs last?