Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Still Detectable After 2 Plus Years of HART
Jan 1, 2002

Congratulations on having the best HIV web site on the WWW. From Aug. of 1999 to Nov. of 2000, I was on Combivir and Nelfinavir. My best VL was 70, but then it spiked to over 4,000, and testing showed resistance to the Nelfinavir. So, in Nov., 2000, I went on Crixivan, Combivir, Videx EC and Norvir.My best count has been 100, and last tests have been 400 and 200. My T-cells are 460 with 24. I of course want to get to undetectable. Should I be satisfied with my relatively good results or intensify or add another drug? Thanks and Happy New Year. Gary

Response from Dr. Little

In general, I would not be satisfied with a regimen that does not completely suppress your virus. It is not clear whether an additional drug or a more potent regimen is needed though and I would discuss this with your doctor. I am very worried that without achieving complete suppression, it will be a matter of months before you have resistance to more drugs and are looking for a new treatment regimen with fewer drugs to choose from. There are still several other potent options out there, I would discuss this soon with your provider.

Previous
resistance testing before starting drug therapy
Next
want a child but positive

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.