HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Still Detectable After 2 Plus Years of HART

Congratulations on having the best HIV web site on the WWW. From Aug. of 1999 to Nov. of 2000, I was on Combivir and Nelfinavir. My best VL was 70, but then it spiked to over 4,000, and testing showed resistance to the Nelfinavir. So, in Nov., 2000, I went on Crixivan, Combivir, Videx EC and Norvir.My best count has been 100, and last tests have been 400 and 200. My T-cells are 460 with 24. I of course want to get to undetectable. Should I be satisfied with my relatively good results or intensify or add another drug? Thanks and Happy New Year. Gary

Response from Dr. Little

In general, I would not be satisfied with a regimen that does not completely suppress your virus. It is not clear whether an additional drug or a more potent regimen is needed though and I would discuss this with your doctor. I am very worried that without achieving complete suppression, it will be a matter of months before you have resistance to more drugs and are looking for a new treatment regimen with fewer drugs to choose from. There are still several other potent options out there, I would discuss this soon with your provider.

resistance testing before starting drug therapy
want a child but positive