Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

Ask the Experts About

HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Rollover images to visit our other forums!

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

resistance testing before starting drug therapy
Jan 1, 2002

I have just become aware that I am HIV +. My cd4 is 104 and viral load greater than 75000 copies. I dont have the exact VL due to the type of test. I have never been on therapy and I have never had symptoms related to HIV. I dont remember the doctor discussing a resistance test ? Is this a routine test before starting therapy ? Should I request a test ?

Response from Dr. Little

No one knows the answer to this question - so I will give you my opinion. Yes, I think that there is now sufficient data on the transmission of drug resistant virus and the persistence of some drug resistant mutations for several years such that I would now do this test before (or concurrent) to starting new therapy. This is a very controversial area at present and not all providers will agree. Clearly the finding of a drug resistant mutation or two is very helpful, though the finding of no resistance does not necessarily mean that there is not resistance present. Resistance can be present at such a low level that our available tests do not readily pick it up. But still, a positive test is so helpful, that I think I would recommend testing in this setting. As I said though - this is my opinion, and not necessarily the consensus of the health care community at present.

Previous
not able to take my meds due to illness.
Next
Still Detectable After 2 Plus Years of HART

• Email Email
  • Glossary Glossary

Advertisement

Q&A TERMS OF USE

This forum is designed for educational purposes only, and experts are not rendering medical, mental health, legal or other professional advice or services. If you have or suspect you may have a medical, mental health, legal or other problem that requires advice, consult your own caregiver, attorney or other qualified professional.

Experts appearing on this page are independent and are solely responsible for editing and fact-checking their material. Neither TheBody.com nor any advertiser is the publisher or speaker of posted visitors' questions or the experts' material.

Review our complete terms of use and copyright notice.