HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

T-20?

I have failed all drug combinations. Now I'm on a Clinical Trial with T-20, Agenerase, Sustiva and Zerit. I was hoping it would help. I've been on it for sixteen weeks and my Viral Load is still over 500,000 and my CD-4 is 41. I want to discontinue the T-20 because of the injections. Do you think I should stop the T-20 because of the results?

Response from Dr. Little

Well, I would agree that you have not had a very good treatment response if these are your measurements at week 16. The decision to stop T-20 is one you should discuss with your care providers. There is in fact quite a bit of data to suggest that continued therapy (even non-suppressive therapy) does reduce the risk of disease progression compared to no therapy. What I would need to know is whether you've had any virologic response to your current regimen - and what if any role T-20 may have played in this response - before I could really advise you on whether to stop this medication in particular. I would discuss this issue with your provider.

New study results
not able to take my meds due to illness.