HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

Will switching from sustiva to Viramune build up resistance?

Hi. I am taking a combination of Epivir, Zerit and Sustiva. I have had good results with this treatment and have only been on medications for HIV for 6 months. My question is this, at my last appt I told my doctor that I was having problems with depression and anxiety. He thought that maybe this was caused by the Sustiva. He suggested switching from the sustiva to Viramnune. I am worried that if I go off the Sustiva, that I will build up a resistance to it and not be able to go back to it if the Viramune or other meds do not work as well for me. Should I worry about this or is it unlikely? Thanks so much for your time.

Response from Dr. Little

As long as your viral load has remained undetectable since you have been on Sustiva (and remains so currently) - there is very little risk of switching to viramune. This is not an uncommon strategy for patients who are doing well on sustiva, but are having problems with depression - which can clearly be worsened by the sustiva.

OK Guy
Drug Resistance