HIV Drug ResistanceHIV Drug Resistance

medication time

Dear Dr. Little: Thank you for all your help. I am on epivir,ziagen,and sustiva. I would say I am above 95 compliant. The problem is I do not most of the time take the first 2 drugs 12 hrs. apart some times 7-9 hrs. and also sustiva not 24 hrs. sometimes later than normal. As I take sustiva before bed, my bed time is irregular. Is all this a problem and may cause resistance. I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you once again. John

Response from Dr. Little

Although there is not a great deal of data to refer to in order to advise you regarding the exact timing of your medications, I can tell you that you are unlikely to run into any trouble by moving your Sustiva dose earlier or later by several hours in either direction as long as you take your dose each day. For the other two medications, taken twice daily though, it is a bit more important to try and take the medications as close to the specified time as possible - I generally tell people that plus or minus 2 hours is about the largest window that I would be comfortable with. It sounds like you are very close to this already. If you find that your twice daily meds are more than 14 or less than 10 hours apart, you may want to work on some prompts or reminders that will help you to remember to take them on time. Good luck.

viral load
to stay undetectable!