Oral Health and HIVOral Health and HIV

thrush resistant to several treatments

Hello Doctor, I am hoping that you can shed some light on my situation. I'll try to keep it simple. I've had one unprotected, heterosexual, sexual encounter with a person of unknown HIV status. One month later, I tested for HIV 1 & 2, which was negative.

Recently, I have had 3 courses of antibiotics and several weeks of high dose inhaled steroids (sometimes I forget to rinse my mouth). Shortly after, my mouth felt odd. Despite a normal looking mouth, a Nickerson's test for thrush, returned positive. I have been on several different "classic" therapies for thrush with no signs of improvement.

I am awaiting HIV test results taken at 4 months post exposure.

Could this thrush be a sign of HIV infection or AIDS?

Could this even be thrush, since it hasn't responded to the standard treatments?

Thank you.

Response from Dr. Reznik

Over 60% of the general population will test positive for the presence of Candida species, the organisms that cause candidiasis (thrush). Just because a person tests positive for the presence of Candida, does not mean they have candidiasis. You stated that your initial HIV tests were negative, but you do mention two other potential reasons to present with thrush: use of broad-spectrum antibiotics and steroid containing inhalers. This may explain why you tested positive for Candida.

Without the ability to examine your mouth, it is impossible for me to offer a definitive diagnosis. Although if your standard therapies included clotrimazole or fluconazole and you did not respond, I would question the diagnosis of candidiasis.

Take care,

DR

oral ulcers and the influence of stress
no answers?